Tuesday, March 24, 2015

I Like This Place


Mark this March 22. I'm having some trouble with pictures and formatting. Please bear with me and check out the 'pictures' link for more.
 
This post was supposed to be about my terrible morning at the airport, but there's been too much good since then to consider complaining anymore. Let's just say drinking several glasses of whiskey and sleeping for three hours before waking up to go to the airport is a bad idea. No matter how good the rye is. Onward, then.
 
After landing, I checked in to the hostel in the Miraflores district of Lima, which is near the beach, and went to meet my convenient tour guide Russell, who is a friend of VJ's. Good dude. Big help. We roamed, ate, drank some beer, and discussed possible courses of action. Now I have a big list of things to do. 
 
Thing I've learned about Lima thus far:
 
It's hot.
It's crowded
The size - holy lord is it big
The noise - Currently I can hear, among the passing cars and their incessant honking, some sort of woodwind instrument, continuous beeping from god knows where, a bird (maybe? Maybe a lamb?) people shouting, a baby crying, and a circular saw.
The drivers - are insane.
There are a lot of bananas
And finally, earning a whole rambling paragraph,
 
The food - is my new favorite. Honestly I'm afraid this is going to quickly turn into a food blog because it might be the most amazing thing about this place. I know the people are friendly, as are they beautiful, the climate is lovely, and the beaches are yada yada yada… none of it matters. FOOD! Only the food matters. Arroz con Pollo, frijoles, guacamole, chicarròn, lucuma, lucuma ice cream, taqueñas, can't get enough of dat hot sauce… there will be no way for me to truly convey the freshness of the fruit and the perfect spiciness of the chicken and pork, and turkey, and beef, mmm. I haven't even started on the seafood. Tomorrow I plan on hitting up a recommended ceviche spot. Other things I am looking forward to include pisco, chicha, peruvian chinese food called chifa, and beef neck. I knew the word for the beef neck last night, but now I forget. Lo siento.
 
VJ gets in tonight. We are staying at Russ's place in the Surco district, which is a relatively nice spot, but there is not much to do. I think we'll end up back in Miraflores tomorrow. Hostel is possible. Not sure. Will update. Bye.
 

1 comment: