Wednesday, August 20, 2014

I Cheated

And I'm definitely paying for it.

The trip to Eagle Butte taught me three things: the prairie is beautiful, the prairie is unforgiving, and the prairie gets boring fast. In order to make up for some lost time, and to avoid pedaling into the 85°F wind, I have decided to cheat.

I shuttled out of Eagle Butte towards Pierre. There awaited a car in which I was to drive to Rapid City. Fittingly, it takes more work to leave Eagle Butte this way than it would have been had I just rode.

Exhibit A: I was supposed to leave yesterday morning. The ride was canceled last minute. 

Exhibit B: I was told my bike would fit in the shuttle. False - it does not. I had to leave it at the hotel, therefore I had to return to Eagle Butte prior to continuing on to Rapid City.

Exhibit C: Halfway into our trip to Pierre, the other passenger realized he was going to be late for his appointment... so we turned around. Had I been driving I would not have been so kind.

Exhibit D: Busses regularly leave Pierre for Rapid City. They will not, however, transport my bicycle. Thus the need for a rental car.

The bottom line here is that I am bypassing the badlands, though I will be driving through. I realize I am not prepared to camp in these areas, partially due to lack of proper experience, and a bit because hammock camping is not feasible out here. Seeing as I made it almost 600mi and am behind schedule, I'm happy with the plan.

After arriving in Rapid City, I will head south to Hill City. That's the area where you'll find them there monuments. From there it's more south on the Mickelson Trail through the hills and into Nebraska. I aim to arrive at the finish line by Aug 30.

1 comment: