Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Rest Day

I woke up feeling good but certain (yellow) things indicated I was still very dehydrated. So I marched to the front desk and told them I was to stay another night.

After drinking a couple more bottles of water I rode back to the lawn upon which I slept and snagged my 3L platypus. Then I went back to the motel and slept.

The rest of the day involved eating a lot, drinking water/Gatorade, and better planning. I asked the internet for advice and got some good tips:

- Drink about 1L water per hour
- Ride early and late, rest mid day
- Have Gatorade packets for electrolyte replenishment
- Drink hot tea to cool off (the advice was basically "billions of Indians and Arabs can't be wrong .” good point.)
- keep mouth closed

Some of you who know me know that last one is tough for me. I'm a serial mouth breather. As for the hot tea point, there is actually a receptor on our tongues that triggers sweating when hot food/drink is consumed. Cool.

Anyway, back on the road tomorrow. I'm going to leave early and get to the next town about mid day. I'll hang there until late afternoon and continue to Maplewood State Park.

And now, pictures of fields:




4 comments:

  1. You should pick up as much honey as you can get your hands on. It has a very high caloric density and it replenishes all of your spent muscle glycogen. It'll help your muscles recover (when coupled with adequate protein intake)

    Also, I wasn't going to say anything but I just can't help myself. Maybe your "Take that people who told me I should train" was a bit preemptive. :-)

    Good Luck and may the DEET be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I can argue the dehydration due to lack of water access is not a training issue, I'll let you have that. Training could have helped.

      When I saw you mention honey I immediately thought you were going to talk about mead. What the hell do you eat with all that honey?

      Delete
  2. Picture 3 is not a field. Love Dave and Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's small but some might still qualify it as a field

      Delete