Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Northwestern Wind

is killing my efficiency! I pedaled for 6 hours today. My average speed was 8.7mph... I can normally pull off 12! In total I rode 53mi to Gwinner, ND, home of the Bobcat skid loader. Still a pretty good day, but that wind cost me ~19mi. I'll have to get a)stronger, or b) way more aerodynamic, cause this wind isn't going anywhere. We on the prairie now.

Yesterday was a somewhat lost day, but I did manage to get some excellent Mexican. Then I took a leisurely cargoless evening ride around the town of Wahpeton. I covered the whole town in about 45min. That's a big town in these parts. I also realized I enjoy hanging out in abandoned parking lots:


Here are some other interesting facts:

- frogs are by far the most common road kill on ND Route 13.
- also found are snakes, turtles, skunks, foxes, mice, owls, raccoons, birds, ...
- I had to dodge a lot of road kill today
- tonight is a full moon
- this trip marks the first time(s) I have experienced numbness in my private regions.
- I read that that's normal and totally okay.
- there was a 300ft elevation increase over the course of 53 very flat miles. That's very roughly 1ft increase per 1000ft ridden.
- the wind in North Dakota sucks
- On this day in 1993 we were blessed with the birth of Olivia Rose Mulder
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIV!

I hope to make it to South Dakota tomorrow. For now I must stretch, then sleep.



No comments:

Post a Comment