Tuesday, August 12, 2014

South Dakota

August 11


Two states down. One large state ahead of me. I passed into South Dakota this afternoon to much fanfare:



Before crossing over I stopped in the town of Oakes for lunch and a nap. As I ordered my spicy chicken sandwich and tall chocolate milk, a man on a bike with cargo similar to mine rolled up. The man's name was Steve, and he also enjoyed a chocolate milk. As of today, he had been riding 82 days on a trek to the 48 contiguous states. Jesus. At 52 it was not his first tour. One of his trips spanned California to Massachusetts and another was a short jaunt from Alaska to Florida. So I can't complain about this stuff anymore.

Quick bit about the chocolate milk - I've decided it's perfect for recovery due to the presence of fats, protein, sugar, and chocolate. Plus it's incredible. So I drink it whenever I get a chance. Don't try to argue with me. I won't give it up.

The riding was excellent today. I rode a good 20mi into the wind but the rest of my 60mi day was due south and without resistance. At 7:30 I planned to keep going awhile but I came upon this nice little park in the "town" of Houghton. Looking at the maps all day I didn't even know the place existed. But they have a  park with trees to hang my hammock, so I sat down at the picnic table for a tea, meat stick, and trail mix dinner. Dessert was a flame roasted pop tart:



I have 34mi to Aberdeen in the morning, where I plan to get a good meal and maybe stay at a motel. My knees would probably enjoy some ice.




1 comment:

  1. Corn Palace!!! And the festival is in a week and a half!!! YOU MUST GO!!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete